Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Jerry Berg BHS '67 Talks About "The Music Man"

Recently got in touch with Jerry Berg who went to Miller with us and I asked him to write about his adventure playing a bit part in the movie 'The Music Man' - thanks Jerry!!!

\

Where's Jerry and Ted??


Hi Cathy.
Hope you are doing well. Fran Serafin apparently saw my name on Classmates and dropped me a line. Last time we saw each other was in early 1971. Anyway, it turns out he also lives in Apple Valley about 4 miles from me. Go figure..........

Now for The Music Man thing. In the Spring of 1961 we were all in the 6th grade. Warner Bros. was starting to cast for their production of The Music Man. They sent out notices to all the schools in the area that had music programs that if anyone was interested in being in the movie they should report to Warner Bros. Studios on a certain day. The casting office was on Olive Av. between Hollywood Wy. and Pass Av.

We were all told that each kid would receive $2.50 travel money. For that kind of loot, this was going to be a win/win situation. Besides myself and Ted Goldstone, I don't know if anybody else from Miller School went. At the time Ted and I were in the school orchestra. We found out later that the Studios were under the impression everyone was in some kind of MARCHING band. I'm not sure how many kids showed up, but it had to be several hundred at least.

We signed in (or I guess our mothers signed us in) and we were all given our "show up" money and a piece of paper with a number on it. The paper was similar to what a cowboy in a rodeo would pin to the back of his shirt. As I recall, we did a bunch of waiting around until your number was called. I remember going in to a room with one other kid and standing by a "grown up".

Looking back my best guess is that the person we were standing by was one of the dancers who was also to be in one of the bands. They were mostly in their early 20s. We stood there for a few minutes while several casting people with clipboards sized us up. We were told to hold our number up to our chest so they would know who they were looking at. After being checked out by casting we were all told "thank you and we'll let you know". I figured that was it but at least I was $2.50 richer.  

I don't remember how much time passed, probably several weeks, until we received something in the mail informing us that I was one of the kids selected to be in the movie. Ordinarily this would be reason to celebrate but since baseball season was in progress, I would be forced to miss several practices and games. Now I'm pissed!! Since I already blew my $2.50 we figured I better take the job. I ended up working a total of seven days. We had to get a Social Security card but I don't remember anything about a SEG (Screen Extras Guild) card. Maybe Ted remembers that part as I think his father worked for Warner Bros.

The first day the "band" showed up to begin filming was when Warner Bros. discovered we didn't have any marching experience. I remember they brought some guy in to whip everyone in to shape and give us the basics about marching. He didn't have much time but he did a good job with what he had to work with.

Since filming was during the week we all had to miss school. We were instructed to bring work assignments from our teachers. For me this meant Mrs. Ecklund?? For some reason I can't remember her name. All I know is that she was the first teacher I had who I couldn't stand. As I think back on it she really didn't like boys in general. Maybe someone remembers the dear lady's name.

   Now, back to the movie. Since we were minors we each had to have a parent or guardian accompany us to the studios every day. In my case it was my mother since she didn't work. I think my father took one day off so he could see how the whole thing worked. In the trailer that served as our classroom I was in with maybe 12 or so kids.

One of my "classmates" was little Ronnie Howard. At the time, Mayberry RFD, or whatever it was called, was in production so Ronnie was working two jobs. I remember that during breaks in our school work my mother would talk to "Opie" and ask him about the show. Ronnie would sit and not only do his lines, but those of Andy, Don Knotts, etc. After one of these sessions we were called to do a scene and Ronnie grabbed my hand to walk to the set with me. Knowing what we all know about Ron Howard now, I probably should have continued to hold on to his hand.

One day in a sound studio my mother was standing with a small group of people when the star of the movie, Robert Preston, walked by. My mother got excited and said "oh look, here comes Preston Foster" (from the old tug boat series). Robert Preston must have heard her because all he did was give her a Charlie Brown look and kept on walking.

Another time a few of the mothers were outside on an outdoor set when some filming was going on. As the camera was moving down the street the women were trying to get out of the way and Mrs. Goldstone remarked that "if we mess up this take my husband is going to kill me". They didn't, so all was well.

That's pretty much the highlights of what I remember. I know we were paid $8-something an hour which was serious money for a sixth-grader in the early 60s. On a sadder note, I'm still waiting for my first residual check. It's been a long wait. That's all I have to say about that.
    --- end ---
  
A FEW MORE CLIPS FROM THE MUSIC MAN  

  

 

  

MORE VIDS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO0DFttQoJc&feature=share&list=PLE0AA6E50447AA48C

3/27/09 UPDATE 

Received this email yesterday - thanks Jerry for the kind words AND for the clue as to where you are in the video clip!

I just wanted to thank you for the wonderful job you did with my story on the BHS67 blog page. I hope our classmates appreciate the time and effort you put into this website. Keep up the good work. Jerry. F.Y.I. on the 76 Trombones finale that you posted, as you're looking at the band coming towards you I'm the drummer in front on the left. Thanks again!

Found this photo... Jerry is on left with drum!

No comments:

Post a Comment