Thursday, June 16, 2022

John Rocke, BHS '67 (1949-2022)

John Curtis Irwin Rocke
July 10, 1949 -  June 15, 2022
 
 

Jolene Firgens recently posted this sad announcement... RIP John

"I am devastated and heartbroken. Go with the angels John Rocke. You are and always will be my brother and so loved by my family. My condolences to Adam, Connie and Katie and John’s son."

No further details known at this time.
 
UPDATE
Trudie Lombard Hentze posted the following on the class 1965 FB page and she gave permission to post it here: 
 
I am sharing this email from Adam (with his permission) regarding the passing of his brother, John Rocke, BHS 67. John was an LA County presecutor, as well as an instructor for legal classes at LA Mission College. Adam would like all sympathies sent to John's wife, Katie (address below); however, I know he would also appreciate hearing from BHS friends on his personal email at arocke@gmail.com. He does not subscribe to Facebook. I will provide information on any services when I have something to share:
 
This is to inform you that my brother, John Rocke, passed away today (Wed June 15th). As you might guess, I am shattered and his wife Katie is just so pained. I cannot say anything more about his passing. It appears it was natural causes and I guess we may never know for sure what the causes were. This happened sometime after about 5:30 (Wed) morning. Arrangements for his burial are being made. Please express your sympathies to his wife Katie as the address of 27021 East Island Drive, Valencia, CA 91355. I am sure she would appreciate it. I do not have any further information at this time.
Adam Rocke 
 
PS I might add that the Rocke family lost their sister, Louise Rocke, BHS '62 back in 2012 (link). Please keep the family in your thoughts and prayers 
 
 
A FEW FACEBOOK COMMENTS...
 
  • Betty Worland
    What a shock. John was a great guy. So sorry to hear this sad news. ❤

  • Suzanne Lane Richard
    I am shocked and saddened - sweetest guy ever! RIP John. 🙏🏻❤️

  • Annette Dinolfo Bennett
    RIP John. Hope he is in a good place. Great guy. 🙏🏼🙏🏼

  • Kathie Maybin
    saddened to hear this .He lived in the neighborhood Such a great guy RIP John

  • Carol Conaty Horton
    I'm shocked. My condolences to his family.

  • Lorraine Taylor
    So sorry for your loss. May God wrap his arms around the family to bring you peace🎉

  • Louise Good Hernandez
    This is sad news. May he Rest In Peace. 🙏🏻💔

  • Barbara Zelenay Berry
    Totally shocked. I have known him since elementary school. He lived on the next street over from me. My heart goes out to his family. Rest in peace John.

  • Susan Casimano
    Such a wonderful guy! Seems like we texted just s shirt time ago! Heartbreaking news💔💔

  • Carol Baker
    I am so sorry to hear about John's passing. He was one of the nicest people, always had something nice to say about everyone. RIP, my thoughts and prayers are with his family.🙏🥲

  • Julie Guttridge
    My heart is broken. Just loved his brilliant mind & soul. We got to talk a lot about Jesus so feel he is with Him in heaven. I feel esp bad for brother Adam. They were so close. Also condolences to his son & wife Katie. 💘

  • Betsey Nash
    The Rocke’s move into our first house on Birmingham, when we moved up the street. Nice family!

  • Susan Peña MacCaskey
    O No, I'm shocked and heartbroken, such a nice guy. Meet him while I in junior high when he was a proctor during our nutrition and lunch, all the girls had a huge crush on him. We talked about this a few times. He mostly stood near the juke box. . .
    RIP Dear John

  • Donna Luce Veatch Neitman
    So very sad! Way to young! I am at a loss for words and yet John never was! RIP John in eternal peace! 🙏🙏😘

  • Julie Guttridge
    Wanted to add this wedding picture of John, wife Katie & brother Adam.
    May be an image of 3 people, people standing and outdoors

    Marilyn Williams Peterson
    Oh my gosh this is so shocking and heartbreaking.😢 I was just telling my husband I read his post a couple days ago about Bruce Fossler's retirement and he always had something good to say about and to people. See you in heaven John Rocke💜

  • Mary Durrer
    Sorry to hear about John Rocke  Prayers for his wife and family

  • Patti Dobrowolski
    So sad. He help our family with free legal advise when my brother died. RIP
     
    Fran Serafin
    Unbelievable, Unfair, Unreal, Unnecessary, Unnerving, R I Whatever way you feel best. .... I just CAN'T believe this as well as DON'T want to believe this-
     
    Don Ray
    Noooooooo!!!!!’
     
    Bruce Fossler
    He was my Best Friend..I am heart broken. I can’t talk or think…sorry John..too much for me to process…
    I Love You..and I Will sign off as I always do.
    You are and will always be my friend
    Friends To The End..
    Our last call we talked about the Wheel of Life and how our name was on it…Yesterday the wheel landed on you..
     
    Cathy Coyle
    Bruce Fossler - Love this photo of you two. Friends to the end.
     
    May be an image of 2 people, people standing and suit
     
    MEMORIALSERVICES
    John Rocke’s memorial being July 8th at 10:00 at Mt Sinai Hollywood Hills at the chapel there.  That is open to all but the burial will be just for family.

    John’s wife Katie would like folks to make donation to an animal rescue in your area in leu of flowers.

      
    UPDATE JUNE 23, 2022 
    OBITUARY

John Rocke, a resident of Santa Clarita, California, passed away suddenly at home on June 15, 2022, at the age of 72. 

John was born July 10, 1949, to his parents Dr. Robert Rocke and Dinah Rocke in Hollywood California. He is survived by his wife, Kathleen Burns, his brother, Adam Rocke, and his sister-in-law, Connie Rocke and their family, and his son, Patrick Chapman, his daughter-in-law, Christine Chapman, and his three grandchildren: Rebecca, Dylan, and Sophie, and his beloved French bulldogs, Lulu and Gigi. He is pre-deceased by his parents and sister, Louise. 

John graduated from Burbank High School, and attended UCLA for his under graduate work and graduate degree in Political Science. He then attended UC Davis School of Law and UCLA School of Law, where he earned his J.D. John also attended officer's training school while in the Air Force National Guard, where he was a member of the 146th Air Wing in Van Nuys for over 13 years. 

During John's legal career he worked with the Los Angeles City Attorney's Office as a prosecutor, the District Attorney's Office of Los Angeles County, the Public Defender's Office with Los Angeles County and the City of Burbank's Attorney's Office. John also taught Administration of Justice classes at Mission Community College in the San Fernando Valley for many years and up to the time of his passing. 

John was a lifetime student, a prolific reader and writer. John was known for his generosity, truly cared about people and made many friends over his lifetime. 

Services will be held on July 8, 2022, at 10:00 am at Mount Sinai Memorial Park at 5950 Forest Lawn Drive, Los Angeles, California, 90068, where condolences can be made. In lieu of sending flowers, please donate to your local animal shelter or services. 

Published by The Santa Clarita Valley Signal from Jun. 25 to Jul. 23, 2022.

3 comments:

  1. Julie Cheledinas Guttridge6/16/22, 1:25 PM

    My dear John, what a brilliant person you were. My heart goes out to Katie, Adam & Connie.. your son.
    I know you loved the Lord so you should be home at peace with Him right now. How I will miss our chats we use to have together about places to retire. But you just retired to the best home of all. Will see you soon ! Love you lots 💕

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one of a kind John. Always edifying and lifting each of us up with your loving kindness. Thank you for the wonderful Bible and remembering. Gosh, the world has lost a great selfless one. Lord, bless John's spirit and comfort his family and loved ones including the many of us that loved him. Say to John, "well done good and faithful servant." Our hearts are broken. Chin up Brucie he is with his Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John was a great guy and I am glad we reconnected at one of our class reunions! He will be missed.....

    ReplyDelete