Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Mary's Weekend Adventure in Colorado



Weekend Adventure!

Hello,

Just wanted to tell you about my fabulous weekend! I haven’t had a chance to explore Colorado since I got here a year ago, so this weekend I hopped in the car. Somehow I picked the hottest, clearest, most beautiful weekend of the summer and I headed up into the mountains to try and cool off. I drove through Georgetown , Frisco, and Breckenridge before going over Hoosier Pass at 11,539 feet.

I went through Fairplay in South Park and down to my friend Sue (Lane) Richard’s home in Woodland Park . Sue and Maurice treated me to a delicious home cooked meal and a relaxing evening. Then Sunday they showed me the sites around their neighborhood. The most exhilarating was the 1 ½ hour Cog Railway ride up to the top of Pike’s Peak at 14,110 feet http://cograilway.com. It was spectacular! It’s 40* cooler up there and since it was so hot below, it was a pleasant 45* on the peak and you could see 4 states. You’re only allowed to stay for 30 minutes which was fine since I was quite dizzy, queasy, and short of breath and needed to go down in altitude. (Hey, I’m still having trouble in Denver at only 5280’.)

Then they took me to the Garden of the Gods in Manitou Springs with it’s magnificent red sandstone rock formations. There were so many more places that I wanted to see, it was hard to head home but I took the scenic route and had another lovely drive. I was tired but happy and breathing much better when I got home.

It was great fun to spend time with Sue who I’ve known since elementary school when our families belonged to the same church back in Burbank . As kids we went on lots of fun camping trips around California and had lots of good times together; it’s fun to take up our friendship again after all these years.

Anyway, hope all is well with you. Love, Mary



No comments:

Post a Comment