Saturday, April 2, 2011

Warren Patrick Fligg (BHS '67) 1949-2011


November 17, 1949 - January 24, 2011

I am shocked and saddened to write that classmate and friend, Pat Fligg, died this past January.

Below is the note just received from his daughter - thank you, Wendy. We all loved your dad. He had a great attitude and was always fun to be around. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers...


Hi Cathy,

Thank you for your thoughts!

I don't think there was an obituary because most of his people were around the world and not really in NJ. I'll ask my mom...

He passed away on January 24, 2011 after fighting Luekemia (AML) for 3 months. He had a very successful first round of chemotherapy, but the second round was too much for him. My mom, his brother-Mike, one of his great friends-Bob Weiss, and I were there at the end. It's a moment I wish he never had to experience. We just had his funeral on March 25th at the West Point Military Acadamy in NY. West Point was such a huge part of him and I am glad he can now rest there. He even broke a few speed records in the pool there! He was honored with the 21 gun salute and my mother was given the flag. It was truely beautiful. Afterwards, we had a reception with his friends and family that flew in from around the country. We had a slide show with photos from his entire life... wish he could have seen the turnout! He would have been impressed!

He had a great time seeing everyone at the Burbank Centenial and the pictures of the past were great! I really enjoyed seeing them!

I am so very proud of who he was and miss him so much!!!! I wish he was only just away on a trip to Asia or Hawaii...

~Wendy







Pat along with Ken Powers, Tim Thomas and John Ferguson were honored at Burbank High's Centennial 2008.



Photo posted by Tim Zuma Tolnay on Facebook from BHS Centennial
 

LINK TO FIND A GRAVE: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/67885600/warren-patrick-fligg

3 comments:

  1. Comment from Paul Watson:

    "So sad. Pat was a great guy. We were in Boy Scouts together."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comment from Mike Gould:

    "Cathy, I am so sad to hear about Patrick, we played Little league baseball and were in scouts together. We communicated with each other during his days at West Point. Do you hear anything about his brother Mike? What a wonderful friend."

    (Note: I gave Mike Gould's email address to Pat's brother.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comment from Guy Gingell:

    "I have fond memories of Pat as we were on the BHS swim team, and played water polo together as well. He would always make me laugh with his quick wit. He will always live in my heart as a great friend."

    ReplyDelete