Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Lone Rider


The Lone Rider
by Shari Deuel Nicholls

Yesterday on a ride Sonia said “Shari, you should have been there! There were some really strange cyclists”. She was talking about the Great Western Bike Rally. I was thinking that no matter where you meet cyclists that we are a strange breed. Why do we go out and ride 100’s of miles at one time? Why do we go to races and see how fast we can go? Some of us look at roads that go Up and UP and UP and we say to ourselves “I bet I can climb that!” If it’s steep (yes, there is a limit for me) I’m ready to take on the challenge of making it to the top.

So as the new year approached I was thinking of cycling events I wanted to do in 2009. Last year I was among a group of club riders that trained for the King of the Mountain series. We had a lot of fun training together and then completing the series. When 2009 came, most of us started to ride the KOM training rides. Some were doing Mulholland Century or Breathless Agony but I was the only one that was going for the KOM series. Why? Well, I’m in a new age category this year and wanted to prove to myself that I could still do all 3. In the KOM women are either in Women or in Women 50+. (Last year I was the oldest women in the series)

In January I was going out on a Tuesday ride and made it to the Fire Station. I couldn’t breathe and my legs were heavy. I turned around and had to walk over Emma Woods overpass. When I got home I went straight to bed. Thursday I got to the doctor and had tests done and xrays taken. The results showed my cholesterol was really high (hereditary) and my blood pressure was HIGH. When the bp came down with meds, the doctor put me through the stress test. The doctor said I passed that like a 40 yr old. Anxiety does take its toll on you. So that experience took me away from training in January. Then in Feb. I crashed in the pouring rain on the bike path coming back from Ojai with the Thursday ride. That kept me off the bike for most of February. Again this year I volunteered for the Tour of California and that time took me to the end of February and off the bike. I finally got to ride in March and started training with the group.

The 1st ride is Mulholland Challenge. 109 miles 12,500’ climbing. It was a perfect day for riding. Blue skies with big white clouds and cool temps. Unlike last year with a high of 102! The ride to the 1st aid station went as planned. But then climbing up Old Topanga I started to panic about not reaching the 1st mandatory sticker stop in time. When a SAG went by I flagged it down. I was so close even at this early stage to get in. He told me I had lots of time and to look at all the people behind me. Okaaaaaaay, I’ll keep going. UP Little Sycamore I got my sticker with 45 mins to spare. As I was pedaling UP Yerba Buena a guy rode up and said “You’re lookin’ strong”, I said “Thanks” and his reply was “Stay within yourself and you’ll do fine”. That was the best thing I’ve heard! It really helped me throughout the day. Due to construction the route was changed and I hadn’t looked at the route slip to find this out. Coming down PCH I looked up and saw riders turning UP Mulholland, not Decker. Well, ok, maybe I better get my route slip out. UP Mulholland to the fire station at the top of Decker, then down Encinal, north on PCH and at mile 84 UP Decker! While climbing Mulholland I as eating p-nut M&M’s. Near the top one got stuck in my throat and as I pulled into the fire station/sticker stop I was having trouble breathing. 15 -20 mins later it went down. Ok back on the road and down Encinal. Decker is my FAVORITE climb so having it at 84 mi was ok for me. Just keep pedaling. I finished in 8:59 and 5th place. Darn M&M! After this ride I had to take about 9 days off due to an “injury”. But I think the rest did me a lot of good.

My 7 year old granddaughter, Abagaele, had a Flat Abagaele project she was doing in her class. It’s a paper doll she made of herself. I was to take the doll wherever I went and she was going to ride Breathless laced onto my camelback. The volunteers at the start took a picture of her. I saw them at each aid station and they were there to take her picture again.

May 3 is Breathless Agony. 114 miles 12,500’. Kevin Moore, Lee Marker and Frank and Linda Zych were also riding. It starts in Redlands, heads UP towards Hemet crossing the 60 freeway and then over Jack Rabbit Road. It’s broken asphalt, sand, gravel, potholes, rubbish and UPhill. After a little downhill we enter the 60 and ride 3 miles UP to Beaumont Ave. It’s all UPhill from here. After a quick aid station stop it’s a long Uphill climb through Oak Glen. The Grim Reaper is along the road to greet you. Aid station 2 is on Hwy 38 and I made another in/out stop. From this point to the top at Onyx Summit it’s UP except for 1 mile of down. Leaving the aid station we had a great tail wind going UP the canyon. It was getting warm here and I was wishing I didn’t have an undershirt on. Oh well, keep turning the pedals and it’ll be over. The thought “Why did I sign up for this?” entered my mind a few times but then I’d suck on some gel, throw in some sport beans (high powered jelly beans) or see someone that needed encouragement and I knew why I was doing it. Before I rode into the 3rd aid station my stomach started cramping. By the time I got there my stomach was really hurting. I heard another lady talking about her stomach and someone offered us Tums and someone told us what to drink. Grabbing some p-nut M&M’s (yes, I was careful to chew them), gu’s and eating some chips and bananas I was on the road again. Just before the short downhill the volunteers drove by and cheered me on. It really helped at this point. It’s funny, but when I know I’m about 10 – 15 miles from finish I get a burst of energy that takes me to the end. My ride time was 6:50 and total time 7:15. I stayed at the top for awhile until the wind picked up. It’s all downhill (except for that 1 mile) to the park where we started and you have to ride all the way or you’re DQ’d.

At the finish there are all he making for a burrito, beans, rice, corn, tortillas and cheese. For some reason I wanted cheese!! And lots of it! It’s always fun to sit at the picnic tables and chat about The Ride. I stopped to chat with Kevin and Lee (and grab a handfull of m&m’s for him) before driving home. I was exhausted by the time I got home but in a good way!

Sunday Ken and I joined the club ride up to Carpenteria. It was a good ride for the legs and I’m feeling more like my old self again.

Monday morning Ken (my Canadian friend) and I left on our cycling/camping trip to Oregon. The 1st night we spent in Colusa, California along the Sacramento River. We were the only ones there. Bright and early we were on the road for Bandon, Oregon. On his way to California in August last year Ken spent 10 days in Bandon. That’s also where my brother and mother had lived. This was going to be the 1st time I’d returned since my brother died 2 years ago. I was glad Ken was with me. We camped in Bandon 5 nights, some in the pouring rain. But the tent kept us dry and warm. Here I got 35 miles in. I tell myself it’s ok, just rest the 1st week after the ride.

We left Bandon and drove north along the coast to a campground just south of Waldport Oregon. When I saw our campsite it was perfect! When they say location, location, location this was it! Very private with it’s own natural balcony over the beach! And sheltered from the wind! We woke up Mother’s Day to good riding weather. Put your clothes on quick, get the bikes off the top of the car and let’s ride! We rode north towards Newport then turned around and found a road that took us off 101. By the time we got back to Waldport the weather had changed (what a surprise) and we were cold. We found the only place open and enjoyed a bowl of clam chowder. The 9 miles back to camp were cold, damp and miserable. We stayed here a few nights but after waking up to rain and hail I said I needed to head inland to find SUN!

Sun was found west of Eugene and also another great campground. We stopped at the visitor’s center and they gave us a fabulous biking road map. We rode out of camp 1 mile and after that rarely saw a car. We’d stop at little country stores for a snack and met some wonderful people. Also some strange people, that weren’t cyclists. One evening we got the map out and decided where we’d ride the next day, Saturday. Little windy roads with NO cars! It was quite a warm day, in the 80’s, and it turned into a ride of 79 miles. But who can complain with all the wildlife, streams, ferns and moss. I enjoy the country stores the most!

We left Richardson Campground and drove east of Salem to Silver Falls Nat’l Park for 2 nights. Our campsite was next to the stream and a covered bridge. We rode through the Christmas tree farms for miles and miles and miles and miles . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I came home on Amtrak from Portland and Ken drove home to Calgary Canada. I got home Thursday, rode to fire station on Friday and rested the rest of the day. Heartbreak 100 was on Saturday.

Saturday I drove to the start of Heartbreak at Frazier Park/I5. It was an 8:30-9:30 start time which was nice. Didn’t have to get up that early. When I got there it was going to be warm day. I took off my arm warmers and my undershirt! We rode UP Frazier Mtn. Rd. 23 miles to the 1st aid station. In and out! I felt great right from the start. After the rest stop there’s a big downhill where I went 46 mph. WHAT?? Did I say 46? Most of the time I was riding alone but once on Hwy. 166 (to Cuyuma) I was in a paceline holding on at 38mph. FUN! In and out of the hwy 33 lunch stop at mile 53. 3 hrs 30 mins to here. It’s HOT!! We turn off 33 and the climbing starts again. Heartbreak Hill, 4 mph, 2 empty water bottles. Whew! There’s the aid station right around the corner. People are cramping up and not continuing at this point. I grab what I need, WATER and HEED(ick) and continue on. There’s only about 20 miles from here and my energy picks up. Well, until the very last little climb about 12 miles from the finish. The last little climb seemed to be the toughest. My heart rate climb, I poured cold water over my helmet and down my front and felt better. It’s all downhill from here. I came up on a rider and asked how he was doing and he said it was a tough time for him. I pulled out to Frazier Mtn. and said I was hoping to finish under 7 hrs. He was somewhere around 5-½ hrs. It was all downhill from that point and we took off “for the barn”! Riding into the parking lot and seeing the finish line, an actual finish line banner this year, was a welcomed sight. A friend was standing and I asked him to hold my bike while I checked in. The after ride food here is a bbq cheeseburger! It was soooooo good to have some ‘real’ food!

My ride time: 6:37 and total time: 6:53! Under 7 hours! As I say going descending on a fabulous downhill ---- WAAAAAAAAHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I came in 2nd Overall in Women 50+ 10 in this age group
I came in 8th Overall in total women 30 total
2008 KOM RESULTS – 26:05 2009 KOM RESULTS - 23:07

So, I’m happy that I rode and rode and rode UP and UP and UP all those hills training for the 2009 KOM.

June 16th I’m flying to Calgary, Canada to set out on another adventure. Ken and I are packing the car with camping equipment, putting bikes on top and hitting the road again. Who knows where we’ll end up.

And I’m proud to say that I’m one of those strange cyclists!

Happy Riding
Shari

A special THANKS to Larry Bott! He met Ken while riding and told him about CIBC. Ken came to a Sunday ride and that’s where we met.

No comments:

Post a Comment