Sunday, July 26, 2009

Coach Jack Loutensock


Received the following email from Alan Landros who said I could post it so we all can send Coach Loutensock a card!

I talked to Blyden last night, the 24th, since yesterday marked 10 months since our kidney transplant last September 24. Blyden told me his dad had just been released from the hospital in Provo on Wednesday. Apparently about three weeks ago Jack was having trouble breathing and went into the hospital. A large amount of fluid was drained from one lung. Blyden said Jack's heart is strong, and there is no congestive heart failure. More tests were done over time, and Jack was diagnosed as having lung cancer in both lungs, related to asbestos exposure according to Blyden. (I'm sure all of us know he was never a smoker.) Jack's age now is 83 1/2.

Jack is at home now, but will soon be going to the Huntsman Cancer Hospital in Salt Lake City for evaluation and will probably begin chemo treatments there soon.

Some of you know that Blyden brought Jack to our 35th reunion for the 1970 class in 2005. The 40th reunion is already scheduled for next June of 2010, and Blyden had already told Jack weeks ago that he was invited once again. Blyden said that it doesn't look good, but that Jack is staying quite positive. He told Blyden, "I'm not going anywhere (passing away), I've got to go to that reunion next June."!

I'm listing Jack's address and phone number for any of you who may want to send him your greetings. (I talked to Frank Kallem this morning so some of the other former coaches will know, too.)

Jack Loutensock
182 S. 70 West
Orem, UT 84058

(801) 226-2329

Best wishes to each of you,
Alan Landros

Here are a few photos from the 1967 Ceralbus. We had a great basketball team and I loved to go to the games!







And here's a photo of Jack's son, Blyden with Alan from last year.

2 comments:

  1. I sent Coach Loutensock a get well card today. He taught my driver's ed class all the way back in April 1972!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too sent him a card. Maybe I also took driver's ed from him... toooo long ago to remember - lol!

    Just glad I passed the class, got my learner's permit the day I turned 15-1/2 and my license the day I turned 16!!

    ReplyDelete