Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Balboa

Bob Carter mentioned Balboa and today Madelaine emailed saying more, so I wanted to post a bit about that fun little island!

As a teen, we would visit my sister who lived in Costa Mesa, borrow her GTO and cruise over to Balboa. In the late 70's, I lived in Costa Mesa too and often would visit Balboa - haven't been back in years but would love to visit!


Balboa Peninsula boardwalk and beach, featuring summer teen fashions from the mid-'60s — Balboa Pavilion in the background.


June 20th & other comments

Cathy,

I love the idea of combining the picnic with another gathering at BJ's. I really enjoyed seeing so many people I hadn't seen for all those years. And for most in our class this is a milestone year, so the more merriment the better is my view. Would love it if we could have some dancing too?? Count me in.

Also, in response to Bob Carter's interview, the Balboa venue was the Rendezvous Ballroom which is now condo's. I also remember Mr. Big's burgers, which I loved. And the music. So many times when I hear the songs he mentioned or any that hold a particular place in my psyche, I am so taken back. When I lived in Telluride, there was a radio show every other week hosted by a contemporary. Every once in a while he would play a song that I literally hadn't heard (or remembered hearing) since high school. Boy, that would transport me back immediately.

I don't read your site as much as I would like to, but I am sure grateful that you put so much effort in keeping the chains of communication open and the memories flowing. Thank you.

Madelaine (Zelenay) Whiteman

Here is a photo of the Rendezvous Ballroom not on the island but located near The Prison of Socrates (where Tim Morgon often performed).


Dick Dale, who was a regular at the Rendezvous Ballroom in the late 50's, is still performing in his 70's!






Do you Swing Dance, Madelaine??



MORE COOL BALBOA LINKS

Why Balboa, you ask?

Surf's Up

2 comments:

  1. Remember the sitcom "The Baileys of Balboa?"

    Neither do I, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha... nope, me neither.

    Actually Wes, I stopped watching tv a long time ago and what a breath of fresh air that is FOR SURE!

    ReplyDelete