Friday, May 15, 2009

Class of '66 Update

Linda Schuster Mazur (email) sends out updates to the '66 alumni and below are a few items starting with these classic pics from Ken Markham!

Ken wrote, "Here's a picture taken in 1964 of Dave Dupree, George Key, my neighbor and oldest friend, Kelly Hughes, and myself. Heading out to go surfing in my 49 Chevy. 45 years later and I've never owned another Chevy, lots of Fords. Second picture is for the car buffs, Me, at eighteen with my 55 Ford."


l-r: Dave Durpee, George Key, Ken Markham & Kelly Hughes




Regarding Larry Maxim '66

From Jim McGillis: "I am glad that I read down to the part about Larry Maxam. Since seeing it, I made a personal commitment to attend the dedication ceremony on Memorial Day. I did know Larry Maxam and he was a wonderful person. When I wrote "WindSong" (my life story), I included a passage regarding Larry. Attached is a revised version of that story: http://www.jamesmcgillis.com/default.asp?id=115. For those who do not remember Larry, this may stir their own memories or perhaps strike a chord in their hearts. Please feel free to share my text with the entire class. Larry deserves our recognition." (Editor's note: After reading it, click on "Comments" below it, to read what others have shared about Larry.)


From Deanne Adams: "I knew Larry Maxam very well. In fact, he took it upon himself to be sure I was safe. He went to the same church as I did and whenever we had a dance, he was close by to be sure the young men treated me kindly. He was always kind to me and made me feel very special. I felt badly that I wasn't more attentive to him, as a friend. He was just a good guy. When I read about his heroic deeds during the VietNam war, I was so proud of him. He had a big heart and cared deeply about other people. I wish I could be there for the dedication of the park. Who knows? I still might come down, but I'll have to see what is happening at that time. Thank you for the update on classmates. We haven't escaped the trials of life, have we?"

From Eddie Morton: "Thanks for the update. I knew Larry had been killed in action because I had read about it in the Burbank Review back in '68. It was around Tet of '68. About 10 years ago, I was in D.C. and read in something at the Library of Congress that he had been killed at "Monkey Mountain" a little west of Da Nang. I spent time in both places. I'm glad he's getting the recognition he deserves."

NOTE: This Memorial day, Monday, May 25, there will be a dedication for the new "Larry Maxam Park" (formerly Pacific Park) at Burbank's Annual Memorial Day Ceremony at McCambridge Park at 11 am (link).


And finally, we are sad to read that Allen Kuszewski passed away on March 23, 2009, from cardiopulmonary arrest and renal insufficiency. We pray for his family...


Click Here to the BHS Class '66 blog. Thanks Linda!

No comments:

Post a Comment