Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Staying in touch via blog

Thanks for the great update, Madelaine - looking forward to seeing you in June!

And does anyone know where Kelly Hughes lives?




Cathy,

My sister, Barbara, left me a message that there was a picture of Dave Dupree, George Key, Markham & Kelly Hughes on your blog. Not knowing the vintage, I wondered what it would be. As I had recalled from earlier blogs that George and Dave passed away and that Kenny still lives in Oregon. So I was wondering if anyone knows where Kelly Hughes is residing. Coincidentally, I saw someone today, who looked like what Kelly might look like today. So that reminded to look at the blog and ask.

I was at the American Legion helping decorate a wreath with poppies that will be used for their Memorial Day Celebration here in Newport Beach. I recently joined the Auxiliary. Now, I never imagined that I would do that, but hey, we all change. I was prompted by my cousin, who I recently reconnected with after about 30 or 40 years. That relationship disconnect was a casualty of divorce. Anyway, he and his wife come down to the Legion here in Newport and had invited me to join them for dinner and dancing one night and I found out that this is not my father's Legion. The post here has a waterfront location, dinner and dancing every Friday night, many fun activities, and a wonderful group of dedicated people. So I joined. So this Memorial Day I will be at the service at the local cemetery and tomorrow night I'll be going to the VA hospital to participate in Bingo Night. I've always been a sucker for a good time and men in uniform.

In keeping with the Memorial Day theme, I went to the memorial site you have on the blog. At first I was going to count the classmates who died in combat. Then I was struck by the many classmates who have passed so early in their lives. And I felt sad that there were so many classmates that I did not know nor will have that second chance to get to know.

Well, enough rambling from me. I thought Dave Le Sueur's piece was very cute and haven't seen Leigh Rugee since shortly after High School.

Cathy, you are doing a great job pulling us all back to a center. Take care and see you in June.

Best,
Madelaine Zelenay Whiteman

No comments:

Post a Comment