Monday, September 1, 2008

Burbank Leader Article on Alan and Blyden

We received this email from Alan this weekend regarding the Burbank Leader article (below):

The Alan/Blyden story is in Saturday's, (August 30), Burbank Leader at http://www.burbankleader.com/

On the list of links on the left click the second one, NEWS, and it's the top story on that page.

Unfortunately, from all the facts the reporter got she doesn't put most of them in the story. And the story in not correct when it says Blyden offered to donate his kidney when he heard about my problems at our 35 year reunion. It was two months after the reunion before I told any BHS classmates that I was going to go on dialysis. I specifically did not mention my health at all at our reunion. And the biggest fact she left out is we didn't meet at BHS, rather in fifth grade at Thomas Jefferson. Also, not mentioned is that Blyden lives in Utah, that he had taught at BHS, and that his dad had taught and coached for so long at BHS.

When I met the photographer at BHS to have the pictures taken on Thursday, she wanted to know what I was involved with the most while at BHS. I said I guessed 'Art'. So she took the pictures in an 'Art' classroom with the 'still life' behind me, but no mention in the paper why the picture has a still life behind me in the picture! I'm sure anyone seeing that photo would wonder what all that "stuff" is behind me! I had thought the picture of me would be in front of the school next to a BHS sign. Oh well.

Alan L.

--- end ---

Taking friendship to a whole new level

Man offers to donate kidney so his high school friend can live a normal life again.

By Alison Tully

August 30, 2008
source


Burbank High alumnus Alan Landros suffers from polycystic kidney disease and has to undergo dialysis three times a week. His friend and fellow graduate Blyden Loutensock is donating one of his kidneys to Landros. (Tammy Abbott/The Leader)

BURBANK — Alan Landros left his 35-year high school reunion with the prospect of a new life.

Landros was diagnosed in 1985 with polycystic kidney disease, a genetic disorder that he inherited from his mother. The disease causes small cysts to grow on the kidneys, ultimately leading the organs to fail.

Since 2006, Landros has undergone dialysis three times a week for up to five hours at a time, making it difficult for him to lead a normal life.

When former classmate Blyden Loutensock heard about Landros’ condition at the reunion, he immediately wanted to help.

“Alan and I were in the same classroom every day, always got along and were close friends,” Loutensock said. “He really can’t go anywhere a lot of the time because he is on dialysis for hours. So the big thing for me is that it is a small price to pay to give somebody their life back.”

Landros hadn’t even considered looking into possible donors and was shocked when Loutensock proposed the idea.

“It’s unbelievable what he is doing . . . As an only child and without any children of my own, I don’t have any blood relatives close to me,” he said. “To have someone like this come out of the blue is just amazing. You hear about stories like this on TV, but I would never in a million years expect it to happen to me.”

After discovering they were a perfect match in 2006, the pair have spent the past 2 1/2 years working toward finalizing the surgery, which will be Sept. 24 at the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center.

“There have been many obstacles along the way, but Blyden has never wavered in his commitment,” Landros said. “I have been so slow and sluggish for so long that it will be interesting to see how much difference I can tell after.”

Once classmates heard Loutensock was not only giving his kidney to Landros, but sacrificing two weeks’ pay at his current job to do so, they reached out to help.

Burbank High graduates Pam and Jon Kirkwood sent out a notice in “The Loop News,” a monthly newsletter sent out to more than 500 alumni, to help raise money toward Loutensock’s expenses.

“Blyden’s selfless act has taken the meaning of friendship to a new level,” Kirkwood said. “We are so proud of him.”

Now with their help, his hotel and transportation expenses are covered.

“Maybe there is some destiny involved in this, I don’t know,” Loutensock said. “Sometimes you have to support what you think is right. I understand the risk, and what will happen will happen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment