Saturday, January 10, 2009

60 could easily be the new 50

Looks like ya'll had a blast on your birthday, Chris. Thanks for sharing!


Hi Cathy and fellow Bulldogs,

What a surprise I had yesterday when I returned from Mammoth Mountain to see my mug pasted into the blogspot! Over 33 years ago while sitting behind numerous bottles of beer in the halfway house (McCoy Lodge, Mammoth Mtn) at the bottom of chair 3 I stood up and boastfully invited the whole cafeteria to my 60th birthday party to be held right there in January of 2009! For the most part everyone ignored me but I have held on to that challenge for all these years and fortunately I was able to attend my own party.

Four years ago my wife and I made it to Mammoth for a weekend of skiing buy I didn't perform so well. I was exhausted around 1:30 in the afternoon and wanted off the snow. My lifestyle of eating sweets and lack of exercise had finally caught up with me although I wasn't willing to admit it. Six years earlier than that I had made the commitment to eliminate alcohol consumption but made some diet choices that weren't good substitutes and it was catching
up with me.

So, long story short, my wife stood by me and designed a diet for me. Of course this included exercise on a regular basis so I took up road bicycling (Shari Deuel Nichols is my idol) and soon lost almost 30 pounds. My cholesterol, triglycerides, and all that other medical mumbo-jumbo are in the extremely healthy levels and my doctor calls me the poster-boy for lifestyle change. So here is the point of my post. I made it to the party but it took some work. Two days ago while skiing at Mammoth, and celebrating my 60th milestone I felt great. Those hours on the bike,
in the gym and making the meal choices were the right prescription for a lifestyle turn-around.

Thanks Mrs. Peterson for the support and to those friends that didn't make the party....you missed a good one! Yes we can turn back the clock! Thanks for the recognition on the blog page Cathy....keep up the great work.

Cheers to you all,
Jay "Chris" Peterson





1/11/09 UPDATE
Thought you would enjoy this '67 Ceralbus photo I scanned this morning!


No comments:

Post a Comment