Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Son Remembers His Father

Just received this touching email from Mike Kubelka's son which is also on the Memorial Page.

Thanks so much, Derek, for this wonderful tribute to your dad.




MICHAEL D KUBELKA (2/21/06) more


Virtual Cemetery

Michael Dennis Kubelka - BHS Class 1967

Michael Kubelka is my father. He passed away from throat and lung cancer on 02/21/2006 at his childhood home in Burbank. My father was very proud of his military service during the Vietnam war. He served in the 101st Airborne Division as a medic. After his service, he returned home to Burbank and worked as a finishing carpenter. He married my mother, Jackie, and had one child (me - Michael Derek Kubelka) in 1976. My mother and father were only married for a few years, but remained close friends until his death. My father never remarried. When my father was diagnosed with cancer in December 2005 my mother insited that she take care of him, which she did, until he passed away on February 21, 2006. My father has two grandchildren, ages 3 and 1. Unfortunately, he never had a chance to meet the youngest. He was only around for the first 4 months of the oldests life. Nevertheless, he was extremely proud to be a Grandpa! My father was a good and honest man. He had his fair share of flaws, but he always put friends and family first. He was known as "everyone's dad" because he always seemed to be giving fatherly advise to all of my friends when I was growing up. He is missed a great deal by all of those that knew him.

I tried to keep it short. I could have written a novel.....

Thank you for your time,
Derek Kubelka
kubelka76@sbcglobal.net

No comments:

Post a Comment