Thursday, May 29, 2008

BHS Centennial Project Responses

Today, a few of us replied to the BHS Centennial Project email which can be seen below (I added the photos). Tomorrow, May 30th, is the deadline, so if you want to throw in your 2 cents, here are the email addresses: Gina Park: sailormoon1934@yahoo.com or Elvira Derhovsepian: elv5027@sbcglobal.net


Hi Gina,

I graduated in 1967. It wasn't until years later that I appreciated the connections of my Burbank High experience. Six years after graduation, I was fortunate in landing a role on a popular television series. The world thought I had it made, fame, money, unlimited opportunity, etc; everything except for.... connecting. My life turned into an out of control merry-go-round on Pinochio's Island . To much sugar and not enough substance. On a particularly bad day, I veered away from the road home and took another into Burbank . It was late when I stopped in front of Burbank High, and snuck onto the football field. Connections immediately began flooding back, real moments with real friends. Some good, few bad, but all full bodied. I had a sudden epiphany and realized that Burbank High gave me something that celebrity never could...me.

Anson Williams




Dear Gena and Elvira ,

OK , OK, Anson's most wonderful response guilted me into sharing my confessions. I have written a long, rambling journal-type, personal essay that, so far, only relates to BHS when I was a nobody there. It's hidden on my website at http://www.donray.com. To get to it, you must go to the bottom of the main page and click on the two military ribbons at the very bottom. That's the secret entrance into my confessions. Of course, the entire piece would be boring, but you'll find five or six or seven stories that I wrote about things that actually happened. One of the more amazing stories is about how my first story ever in print caused changes in absolutely every classroom in absolutely every public school in Burbank . The wonderful ending to the story is that I ended up becoming a journalist and went on to break one of the biggest stories in the history of journalism -- the story about the the police investigation into child molestation allegations against singer Michael Jackson. As it turns out, story about any individual in history resulted in as many words written and as many hours of television and radio coverage. So I guess you could say that I learned some stuff when I was a nobody sitting in Mr. Larry Lloyd's journalism/English class. When you read my first story ever, you'll note that my only goal in writing the story was to cover my butt because I wasn't prepared for a classroom assignment. Some of the other anecdotes relate to the same theme. I hope you enjoy my confessions. There's one more, by the way, that I'll share with you -- but only if you ask me to tell that story. I believe that the statute of limitations has passed and that Miss Wolfson would not come after me (again).

Thanks.

Don Ray (aka Don Ripley) '67
(818) 237-3728

Check out Don Ray's blog at http://donrayadventures.blogspot.com/




Greetings Gina, Elvia, Anson, Don and Everyone Else!

I too am prompted to respond (thanks Anson for taking the lead!) to tell a snippet of my life at Burbank High School.

Actually, I struggled with personal issues throughout my school years and didn't have much self confidence. Then suddenly in my senior year, things changed - I got on the Drill Team and was asked to join KO's, the club for popular girls! What happened? Did they make a mistake? Shocked but delighted to FINALLY feel accepted and loved, life suddenly went from hum-drum to fun and exciting - lol!

Anywaaaaaay, my most important class turned out to be Mr. Mann's drafting class which eventually led to me being a mechanical/electrical draftsperson and then a technical illustrator with Hewlett-Packard for several years.

In 1976, another major event was becoming a born-again Christian which led to me traveling to many countries and eventually becoming a missionary living in Berlin, Germany for 3 years - amazing experience, especially since I could never learn the language!

Now back in California (northern), last year was our 40th class reunion so I started a BHS class '67 blog/website which is still fun and active today (http://bhsclass67.blogspot.com/) and through it, I've re-connected with so many classmates and this has been wonderful.

So who knows what the future holds, but for sure, I'll be coming to the September 2008 Centennial. May the adventure continue!

Cathy Palmer
BHS '67
Sonoma, CA



My name is Patty Betbeze and a 1967 graduate of Burbank High School. I still maintain some dear friendships from those years and reconnected with many more. I especially am fond of the memory of Coach Lipera, he taught, if I remember correctly, Ancient History, (which I think is where I am categorized now). I was his secretary for the football team and would run the mimeograph machine for all of his plays for the week’s games. I went on to join the drill team and was later honored with the position of Captain, we won first place at the Camarillo Days Parade, Yeah! I never miss the opportunity when I am back in California to drive by the high school, what a great time and such great memories. I currently am living in Texas , near Houston , where I am a staff accountant for a youth organization. My daughter married a Texan and after traveling back and forth for 6 years, I decided to move here to be near my 3 grandchildren. They have 15 beautiful acres in the Sam Houston National Forest and besides the big bugs and hot air it is a great place to be.

Keep the emails coming, a great trip down memory lane.

Patty Betbeze




Hi all.

It’s Madelaine (Zelenay) Whiteman, class of 67 jumping in. I am at that age when memories flood in with sweet moments of people, places, and events past. I can’t recall many school memories at the moment (that I can put in print), but remember so many of my friends during those days. I am fortunate that I have a handful that I stay in contact with.

I have been living in a soft, cozy, cocoon of a place for the last 12 years, Telluride, Co. It has allowed me the opportunity to grow in so many ways. I have a picture of me and Maureen Shapiro that I look at fondly. It was taken at Santa Monica Beach in about 1965. I look at that young Madelaine and wonder where the innocence went. Part of my personal journey has been to work on incorporating her best traits back into me. So my story isn’t that much different than Anson’s, only the events have different names.

Part of my recent journey is moving back to California and getting a master’s degrees (imagine at my age). My thesis is being printed and bound as I write this. Yes!

I guess this part of the journey is reconnecting with roots which is also about reconnecting with friends. In fact I am having dinner with Dona Foy, Patty Ellis, and Marcia Johnson tonight.

I am looking forward to being around for all the Centennial Events and reconnecting with some of my BHS alumni. Perhaps even making new friends.

Life is interesting. Until then.

Hugs to all,

Madelaine




Gina & Elvira

You indicate that you want memories, well here is one from me, Ron Wysocky, class of '67.

"Life is too short, the pay is too low, and Lockheed is too near." I heard those words many times from Mr. William Hill from his classroom when I was a sophomore in his Geometry class and as a senior in his Physics class. My guess is that he contemplated a career change or joked about it with his special dry wit. The reference to Lockheed in his line is that they were a major employer In the area in the 1960's and probably many years prior. For all I know maybe it was the place to be employed at time. If Mr. Hill ever migrated to Lockheed it happened after the class of '67 graduated. I found my Ceralbus for 1967 and there is a picture of Mr. Hill and Mrs. Toni Cannon as they were chosen as the favorite teachers of our senior class.

Why that line stuck with me all these years is something I cannot explain. I didn't realize it when I was in that Geometry class as a sophomore, but proving the various geometric theorems, corrollaries, and assumptions was preparing me in learning how to think logically. Maybe that planted the seeds for me getting my B.S. in Business Administration with the option of Information Systems and pursuing a career in working with computers in trying to outhink a machine in getting it to do what you want when you want it. I've been in this field for over 30 years and seen it grow from being known as Data Processing to Information Systems to its current name of Information Technology. I started out keypunching my early programs on an IBM keypunch machine creating punched cards to today as I'm sitting in the comfort of my home creating this email that is about to go out to many at once.

At my recent 40th year reunion a number of classmates when learning of my occupation remarked that I don't look like a 'nerd'. My reply is that I don't have a pocket protector and have never owned a beanie cap with a propeller on it.

I make it over to Burbank about once a month as my Mom still lives in the same house as when I attended Burbank High School. My route takes me past the high school on 3rd Street and then along the north side of the campus up Delaware Road. Mr. Hill's classroom was in the Science Building on the second floor and it was located near the 3rd Street and Delaware Road intersection. There is a parking structure there now and I guess the school needed to modernize. I look forward to checking it out during the Centennial celebration in September.

Anyway thanks for inviting all of us to respond as it is great to go down memory lane.

All the best.

Ron Wysocky
Class of '67
Chino, California



Memories from the Class of '67.....where can one begin! This is Kathie Kale (Weitzman) checking in and in reading everyone's posts, it has been hard not to smile and laugh at the best times of our lives. My best Ceralbus memory comes when I went to pick up my senior picture proofs at Bishop Studios on a Saturday morning with rollers in my hair (standard uniform for date night). Mr. Bishop jumps up and down, saying "I've been waiting for someone like you for years" and takes my picture with clips on my bangs that I used to try to keep them straight (hard with curly hair) and giant rollers covering my head. That picture was blown up, along with my senior picture, and displayed in the main showcase at BHS with a sign under it which said 'DON'T FORGET YOUR SENIOR PICTURE APPOINTMENT". My mom and dad had both pictures hanging in their hallway for many years to follow, and now I have it - safely in my garage! Truly though, my years at BHS have mostly all good memories - I made lifelong friends and we still see each other regularly. We have a bond that will never be broken, and I just don't think that high school is the same way today. Unfortunately, I will be out of town during the Centennnial, although I'm trying to rearrange my schedule so I can at least attend on Sunday. Best to all.

Kathie



Class of ’67 ….like the rest of you where does one begin to sort out all of the wonderful memories! This is Dona Foy responding to everyone’s great emails. Just last night I had dinner with Madelaine Whitman and Patty Ellis and we laughed about those wonderful times and friendships so dear. After reading Kathie’s email I decided I needed to share my hair roller story. One morning I was at drill team practice with the extra large rollers and scarf when someone took my picture and it ended up in the Ceralbus! Kathie is correct; it was the “standard” for girls with curly hair! However, the most important thing from my wonderful years at Burbank High is that I met Scott Bruckner (1966). As many of you know his dad was a teacher at Burbank High and very strict. I am happy to report that he has mellowed over the years and at 90 is going strong! Scott and I dated my junior and senior year and then as things happen you go your separate ways. Fast forward 35 years and we ran into each other at the all school reunion at the Police Academy . I had been living in Minneapolis for 25 years and was visiting my mom when Sheri Duell called and asked if I wanted to go the reunion. Scott and I saw each other, spent the day talking and as they say the rest is history! We were married last November and I moved back to Southern California ! I love being back home and it has been so wonderful reconnecting with so many friends from those high school years!

I look forward to seeing many of you at the celebration and at the breakfast at Joan and Freddy’s.

Kind Regards,

Dona Foy Bruckner



There is no topping the posts that have circulated from BHS alums, especially those from 67, but hearing that Mr. Les Bruckner still is going strong is like good news about a favorite uncle (Thanks Dona!). Mr. Bruckner superbly coached the fall '66 JV football team and, like Coach LiPera, definitely had his heart in it--or at least convinced us he did! And in the classroom he definitely was insistent as in my utter zero score on the California Counties map test (I could get most of them today, however). One other teacher, albeit less popular, was Mr. George Holm whose European History course pained many sophomores but he showed tremendous dedication to knowledge, to history, and to the personal discipline it takes to become genuinely educated. His socio-political progressivism differed from the Goldwater conservative/traditionalist viewpoint many of us held, but you had to come away from there knowing something about the past.

KJB '67
Kent Barcus

No comments:

Post a Comment