Thursday, August 30, 2007

Denny Lombard

9/18/07 UPDATE: CLICK HERE to see a few of Denny's photographs from Lockheed - stunning work!




Great to hear about all your exciting adventures and want to hear more. Please bring your camera to the Reunion and we'll post your pics/videos here on the blog, Denny!


Cathy,

What a great way to catch us up on our high school friends. I have really enjoyed reading some of the other stories. You always wonder; what happened to...?

I have been married to the same woman for 36 years and we have two daughters who have given us six grandchildren. The Lord has seen us through the many ups and downs of family life. I have made a lot of trips over the years, down to a mission in Mexico where I take pictures for my “evangelist” mother-in-law who travels all over the world sharing the work the Lord has been doing at the mission, which is located in Vicente Guerrero, Baja California.
Her book, entitled Charla’s Children has won many awards.

My interest in photography while I was in High School eventually turned into a career. Upon graduation I went into the Navy and then went to work for Lockheed. I am currently the chief promotional photographer and photojournalist in Palmdale, California. They use the word chief just because I am the old guy!


My thirty-seven years at the Skunk Works has produced photos of many of the company’s world-renowned aircraft, such as the F-117, U-2, SR-71, and YF-22, and due to the widespread interest of these fantastic airplanes, many ended up on the covers of magazines and inside books all over the world. In the late 1980s, I spent many weeks at Tonopah , Nevada photographing the then “Top Secret” F-117 for the Nighthawk’s debut to the world! I was also very fortunate to fly in the back seats of F-16s and F-15s as the photo chase photographer on the YF-22 flight test program, which was the prototype to the new “world-dominance fighter aircraft” the F-22 Raptor.


The picture attached is me hanging out the back of an old historical B-25 to photograph the U-2 during a mission. The B-25 is an awesome platform to shoot from. There is nothing between you and the airplane following you and yes, I am harnessed in!
\
 

Obviously I really enjoy my job in aerospace. In my spare time, I am the secretary of ISAP, International Society for Aviation Photography,
http://www.aviationphotographers.org and really enjoy our symposiums where we gather with other aviation photographers from all over the world once a year.

While I am winding down for retirement, my wife and I look forward to some road-trips, spoiling our grandchildren, and getting healthy again, as well as some much needed rest!


Thanks for letting me share too and I will see you at the reunion!


Denny (Dennis) Lombard

No comments:

Post a Comment