Thursday, April 10, 2008

In memory of Valerie Jean Olson Smith ('64)

May the Lord bring comfort and healing to the family during this time of loss I pray. Valerie was the sister of Vern Olson and their family lived a block above me on Tujunga Avenue near Bel Aire. Thank you, Pam, for the email.

This morning we received some very sad news. We lost our dear sweet Valerie Olson-Smith '64 yesterday, April 9, 2008, in Medford, Oregon.

For those of you who were not aware, Valerie had valiantly and so bravely fought ovarian cancer for the past several years...the same dreadful disease that claimed her sister Voni Olson '61 several years earlier.

Valerie was a true warrior in more ways than one. She had a profound and unshakable faith in God and trusted him beyond measure. Valerie faced years of cancer treatment with a smile on her face and her heart was filled with thankfulness for her every blessing. She appreciated so very much, all of you who so lovingly sent her birthday wishes for the past couple of years.

We will miss her cheery emails and we can only be thankful that she is no longer suffering.

At this time, we have no information regarding any arrangements.

If anyone would like to send a card or words of sympathy to Valerie's family, here is the address:

The Valerie Olson-Smith Family
1558 Cypress Point Dr.
Medford, Oregon 97504

We can only assume that Valerie's Family will also be checking her email address for messages, as well: oregonvjs@yahoo.com

Please join us in keeping Valerie and her family in your prayers.

God Bless

Love, Pam and Jon

--- end ---

Psalm 23

1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.


JULY 14, 2008 UPDATE
Received this email from a friend of Valerie's today - thanks Ray:

Valeria and I grew up in the same church in Burbank. Don Thompson and I were always competing for her attention (he always won) We went to the same college and I was a groomsman in her and Robs wedding. I spoke to Rob on July 2 he is doing ok and moving back to So Cal.

Thank you for the very nice article regarding Valerie and her faith she will always hold a special place in my heart and memory.

Ray Martin 63

No comments:

Post a Comment